How much does coronary stenting cost ?
Highly rated Coronary stenting clinics by real patients
The hospitals ranking is based on 390 requests, 39 patient reviews, prices, and information from 60 clinics
What is Bookimed?
Best Coronary stenting Doctors
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
Coronary stenting Patient Reviews by Bookimed patients
4 positive reviews on coronary stenting
FAQ about Coronary stenting
Stenting is a process of installing a special wire mesh tube in the area where the artery is narrow due to lesions or plaques. This decreases the chance of the artery getting blocked again.
There are several types of stents that can be used for the operation:
- Dual Therapy Stent (DTS). This is the most contemporary stent. It decreases the chance of recurring artery blockage. Its material is coated with drug solutions that promote healing processes in a narrowed vascular segment. Dual therapy heart stent cost is higher than all other types.
- Bioresorbable Vascular Scaffold (BVS). Stent material dissolves over time in patient’s artery. It contains medical agents that prevent blockage recurrence. Bioresorbable coronary stent price is lower than DTS, but it lacks active healing component.
- Drug Eluting Stent (DES). This stent emanates special drug that prevents tissue scarring, enabling stable blood flow and hindering future narrowing of the artery. Slightly higher chance of blood clotting and artery fibrosis is associated with this type of stents. Angioplasty surgery cost with this stent is one of the lowest.
- Bio-engineered Stent. The material is coated with antibody agents, which speed up natural regeneration processes in the artery. Quick regeneration ensures that stent surface will be grown over by tissue faster, diminishing the risk of complications. Bio-engineered angioplasty stent cost depends on a clinic and country where a patient is operated.
- Bare Metal Stent. This stent is made of stainless steel. After being placed in the artery, it is slowly overgrown by recovering tissues, that fixates it in place. This cardiac stent price is the lowest among possible solutions, and it is as effective as the others. Yet, scar tissue covering the stent may cause recurrence in 10% of cases.
Installation of coronary stent
Indications and contraindications to coronary stenting
Coronary stenting is used to treat atherosclerosis (narrowed arteries) and heart attacks as well as addressing the following symptoms:
- breath shortness;
Contraindications to coronary stenting include:
- narrowed artery (for cases when narrowing was not caused by atherosclerosis);
- weak or damaged heart muscle;
- malfunctioning or diseased blood vessels;
- multiple blockages.
Preparation for coronary stenting
Before the surgery, a doctor assesses patient’s medical history. An imaging test called coronary angiogram is performed. During this test, liquid dye is introduced into patient’s blood flow through a catheter in their wrist or groin area. Dye is visible on X-ray, allowing to locate and plan treatment of blood flow blockages.
Based on patient’s examination results, a doctor decides, if the procedure is viable and what type of stent should be used and what clinic to choose. According to this Doctor Coordinator will answer how much does angioplasty surgery cost in your particular case.
Routine examinations are carried out before the operation: blood tests, chest X-ray, and an electrocardiogram to rule out contraindications and get a better grip on patient’s condition.
Patients should not take any medicine that interferes with blood coagulation or thickness. Any medications should be taken only in accordance with a physician.
Coronary stenting process
The procedure takes 1-3 hours depending on patient’s condition, a number of blockages and difficulty. The operation is carried out by a cardiac surgeon and a team of medical personnel in a cardiac catheterization lab. The procedure is as follows:
- a patient is administered local anesthesia to numb the pain from the incision;
- a small incision is made on the wrist or in the groin area to gain access to the artery;
- a catheter is then inserted in the artery and guided to the blockage location through the blood flow;
- using X-ray imaging and previous examination data, a doctor places an unopened stent into the blockage;
- a small balloon on the catheter is inflated, setting up a stent and stretching the artery;
- the balloon is deflated and the catheter removed from patient’s artery.
After the operation patients are required to stay in a hospital for 1-4 days. Usually, special medications and regimen are not needed but may be implemented depending on patient condition. Patients should note that heart stent price is influenced by their duration of hospital stay. After a patient is dismissed, they should follow doctor’s recommendations.
- catheter area starts bleeding or swelling;
- a feeling of discomfort or pain in the catheter insertion site;
- redness, fever, swelling;
- signs of blood shortage in limbs (numbness, color change, temperature decrease);
- a feeling of weakness;
- chest pains, windedness.
The procedure is considered minimally invasive and low risk. Still, there is a small chance (under 8%) of complications. Operating physicians will address them on the first notice and that won’t influence the heart stent surgery cost.
- Blockage recurrence. There is a small chance of restenosis (re-narrowing) of the artery after the procedure. The risk of blockage forming again is estimated to be under 10%.
- Blood clotting. Blood clots may form within the stent and cause strokes or heart attacks. To avoid this a patient is prescribed medication that prevents blood clotting.
- Bleeding in the catheter incision area. While not an unusual occurrence, profuse bleeding may require medical attention and blood transfusion.
- Artery damage. During the operation patient’s artery may be damaged. This complication is treated with bypass surgery.
- Arrhythmical heartbeats. During the procedure, the heart may start beating irregularly. This condition is treated with appropriate medication and does not extend over the postoperative period.
The success rate of the procedure is over 90%. Placed stent greatly improves blood flow and a patient feels almost immediate relief after the operation. Patients are free to return to their usual lifestyles after a short rehabilitation period of about a week. A physician will tell when excessive activities may be engaged.
It should be noted that stenting doesn’t cure the disease, but rather neutralizes the symptoms. To support and prolong the healthy state, one needs to:
- exercise regularly;
- monitor vital parameters, such as sugar levels and blood pressure;
- control body mass and implement diets if required;
- quit smoking;
- consume less cholesterol, reduce current cholesterol levels.
Heart stent cost depends on the following factors:
- Patient condition. Total heart catheterization cost is affected by the duration of patient’s overall hospital stay. Additional stabilizing procedures and medications also influence angioplasty surgery cost.
- Type of used stent. Cardiac catheterization cost is different for each type of stent. A cardiac surgeon will assess patient’s state and suggest what type of stents should be used in a particular case. Angioplasty price mostly depends on this choice.
- Location. The answer to the question how much does angioplasty surgery cost varies depending on the country. Angioplasty operation costs in Turkey or India are 10-12 times lower than in the USA and 2-3 times lower than in Germany or Israel. Note that the clinics in question operate with the same success rate and service quality.
- Operation difficulty. Angioplasty stent price increases if a patient has several arterial blockages that need stenting. Beside increased cardiac stent cost it also requires more time from medical staff.
- Screening method used during the procedure. Type of imaging device and the duration of its use also influence the cost of heart catheterization procedure.
How to receive coronary stenting abroad?
To receive coronary stenting overseas, submit a request on Bookimed site. In the shortest terms our Medical Coordinator will consult you via phone call. You will receive all information needed to find the best place to undergo the procedure, how much does a heart stent cost surgeons’ experience, hospital accreditation. Bookimed will assist you with your paperwork and organize your trip abroad.
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.