José Angel Obeso
40 years of experience
Doctor speaks English, Spanish
José Angel Obeso is a world famous neurologist with over 40 years of practical experience and 30 years of research in movement disorders. Dr. Obeso develops new treatments for neurodegenerative disorders. Founder of the first specialized Movement Disorders Group of the Spanish Neurology Society: the Movement Disorders and Director HM CINAC Integral Neurosciences Centre.
Prof. Obeso’s expertise lies in neurology and neurophysiology. Dr. José A. Obeso treats patients with movement disorders. The doctor has developed Continuous Dopaminergic Stimulation for Parkinson's disease. Nowadays, Dr. José A. Obeso detects malfunctions by making the dopaminergic neurons vulnerable in case of Parkinson’s disease. It helps detaining the progress of neurodegenerative disease.
- Since 2014 — Chief neurologist, Director HM CINAC Integral Neurosciences Centre
- 2000-2014 — Medical Consultant, Director of Movement Disorders Unit at the University of Navarra
- 1996-1999 — Neurologist at the Clínica Quirón San Sebastián and Vintersol Clinic
- 1986-1995 — Head of the Neurology Department, Director of the Movement Disorders Unit and Experimental Neurology Laboratory at the University of Navarra
- 1982-1986 — Deputy Physician of the Neurology Department at the University of Navarra.
- 1976 — The School of Medicine of the University of Navarra — Degree in general medicine and surgery
- 1979 — The Faculty of the University of the Basque Country — Specialty in neurology
- 1979 — The School of Medicine of the University of Navarra — Doctorate in medicine and surgery.
Prof. Obeso has written over 350 research articles. Most of these scientific works are dedicated to the treatment of myoclonus and dystonia, the origin of Parkinson’s disease and its treatment (medicamental and surgical), as well as physiopathology of the ganglia.
Membership in organizations
- The American Neurological Association
- The International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society.