Prof. Brugada is a world-famous cardiologist from Spain. Discovered the genetic cause of a rare syndrome causing sudden heart death called afterward as Brugada Syndrome. Provides scientific, teaching, and humanitarian activities.
Dr. Josep Brugada is an expert in cardiology who has performed:
- over 25,000 cardiac ablations
- over 2,000 cardiac ablations in children.
Doctor Brugada focuses his attention on the treatment of atrial fibrillation, arrhythmias, heart failure, cardiovascular system, cardiomyopathies. Provides echocardiography and pacemaker installation.
- Since 1997 — Head of the Pediatric Arrhythmia Section at Sant Joan De Déu
- Chief cardiologist at Centro Médico Teknon
- 2007-2009 — President of the European Heart Rhythm Association
- 2008-2014 — Medical Director in Hospital Clinic of Barcelona.
- 1978-1982 — The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Barcelona — Degree in general medicine and surgery
- 1986-1987 — The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Barcelona — Doctorate in general medicine and surgery
- 1987-1988 — The Faculty of Faculty of Sport Sciences at the University of Montpellier (France) — Specialty in cardiology.
- 1991 Young Investigators Award Competition by the International College of Angiology
- The Fritz Acker Foundation Award
- Distinguished Scientist Golden Lionel Award.
Dr. Josep Brugada together with his brothers Dr. Pedro Brugada and Dr. Ramón Brugada described a hereditary genetic disease that increases the risk of sudden cardiac death. The condition is named Brugada Syndrome (BrS) after Brugada brothers who described it.
Has published over 350 scientific papers on arrhythmia treatment in children, Brugada Syndrome, radiofrequency ablation, and other cardiac issues.
- Since 2010 — Professor of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Barcelona
Over his teaching practice, Professor Brugada has trained over 200 specialists.
Every year, Dr. Brugada travels 3-4 times to Africa where he treats children with arrhythmia.
Membership in organizations
- The Spanish Society of Cardiology
- The European Society of Cardiology
- The North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology.