Orthopedic spine surgeon
21 years of experience
Doctor speaks English, Italian
You submit a request and the Bookimed coordinator contacts you to discuss all details.
Medical records collection
You collect all medical records and test results and send to the Bookimed coordinator.
Bookimed arranges free translation of your records if required and sends them to the doctor you’ve chosen.
Evaluation of your history
The doctor studies your records, defines treatment tactics and appoints the consultation time.
Online consultation with a doctor
The doctor explains the treatment program and answers all your questions. The consultation takes 30-60 minutes (with or without interpreter).
Conclusion & treatment plan
Afterward, you receive a plan of treatment developed according to internation guidelines and detailed recommendations.
Having more than 20 years of experience as a surgeon, Dr. Roberto Bassani specializes in spinal surgeries since 2008. During this period, Dr. Roberto Bassani has performed more than 2,500 operations applying innovative techniques, particularly the minimally invasive and “non-fusion” techniques.
Dr. Roberto Bassani treats deformities and degenerative diseases of the spine. He provides revision surgeries and all spinal surgeries by applying an anterior approach to the spine and minimally invasive techniques. Specializes in “non-fusion” techniques: total disc replacement, endoscopic approach to the thoracic spine, and dynamic stabilization.
- Current positions: Director of the II Spine Unit of IRCCS Galeazzi Orthopedic Institute in Milano
- 2001-2009 — a senior permanent trauma and spinal surgeon in Orthopaedic and Traumatology Department of the IRCCS Policlinico Universitario San Matteo of Pavia
- 1997-2000 — a permanent orthopedic surgeon in Orthopaedic Division in Gallarate (Varese) General Hospital
- 1990-1991 — a resident of the General Surgical Department in the Department of Clinical Surgery of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery in the University of Pavia.
- 2005-2009 — vascular training at the Department of Vascular Surgery of Pavia University
- Since 1998 — attends clinical and surgical training and meetings in spine pathology, namely in these institutions:
- - Departement De Chirurgie Orthopedique et Traumatologique de L’Institut Mutualiste Montsouris” in Paris
- - “Service d’Orthopédie du rachis et de Traumatologie du Sport” de l’Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg
- - “Department of Orthopaedic and Spine Surgery” in Bad Berka, Weimar, Germany
- - “Department of Pediatric and Adult Spinal deformity” at Sutter Neuroscience Medical Group, Sacramento (CA), USA
- May 2000, obtained the “Training License” of A.R.G.O.S. (European Association of Research Groups for Spinal Osteosynthesis) in Paris
- October 1997 — received a specialization in Orthopaedic and Traumatology at the Orthopaedic and Traumatology School of “The II Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia of Pavia University”
- Attended courses as part of continuing professional development in Orthopaedic Oncologic Pathology and Surgery at the “5° Divisione di Ortopedia of the Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli” in Bologna University
- November 1992 — has completed the exam with full marks for practice in the medical profession, Medicine School in Pavia University. Diploma: Orthopaedic Surgery and Vascular Training.
Scientific and teaching activity
- Current position: Professor at the Neurosurgical Specialization School, University of Turin, Italy
- 2009 and 2014 — was invited by the Japan Society for the study of Surgical Technique for Spine and Spinal nerves (JPSSSTSS) to give a special lecture on these techniques
- Since 2005 — has been teaching techniques for Transforaminal lumbar approach (TLIF), Anterior lumbar and thoracic approaches (ALIF), Vertebral Osteotomies in a hands-on session on cadavers
- 2006 — has been teaching surgical anatomy (anterior approach to the lumbar spine) in the Italian Society for Spine Surgery (G.I.S.) course for surgeons in training.
In January 2009, Dr. Roberto Bassani became “The First Prize Winner at the 13° International ARGOS (European Association of Research Groups for Spinal Osteosynthesis) Spine Symposium in Paris” for a paper on “Long distance anterior revision surgery after TDR. Minimally invasive technique.”
Membership in organizations
- The Italian Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (SIOT)
- The Italian Society of Spine Surgery (GIS)
- The European Association of Research Groups for Spinal Osteosynthesis (ARGOS)
- The Scoliosis Research Society (S.R.S.)
- A.O. Spine International
- Eurospine (The Spine Society of Europe)
- The assistant of the editorial board of the European Spine Journal.