How much do Weight Loss Surgery procedures cost in Mexico?
Costs of weight loss surgery procedures in Mexico
|Gastric balloon||$2900 - $4900|
Highly rated Weight Loss Surgery clinics in Mexico
The hospitals ranking is based on 30 requests, prices, and information from 15 clinics
What is Bookimed?
Common procedures in MexicoGastric balloon
The Best Weight Loss Surgery Doctors in Mexico, remote doctor's consultation
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
What is weight loss surgery?
Weight loss or bariatric surgery is an intervention aimed to reduce the volume of the stomach and accelerate the food movement along the gastrointestinal tract reducing the amount of food you eat. Surgical intervention is the only weight loss method that gives a long-term and guaranteed result.
Who benefits the bariatric operation in Mexico?
The operation is necessary for overweight people with the body mass index (BMI) over 40 kg/m². To calculate your BMI, you need to divide your weight in kilograms twice by your height in meters. For example, your weight is 150 kg and your height is 1.7 m — BMI = 150 / 1.72 = 51.9 kg/m².
Obesity surgery in Mexico is also prescribed for people with concomitant diseases — hypertension, diabetes mellitus, joint damage. In this case, the operation is carried out with a BMI of 30-35 kg/m².
After calculating your body mass index, consult with a surgeon. Only a doctor can decide if you need this procedure, choose the most effective bariatric surgery method in your particular case, answer all your questions, and predict the results after the operation.
What are the types of weight loss operations?
During this operation, surgeons form a stomach pocket with a volume of 15-30 ml. Food from the pocket gets to the small intestine directly. As a result, patients have a sense of fullness even when taking a small amount of food.
- duration of gastric sleeve is 1,5-2 hours
- a patient loses 60-70% of the excess weight
- hospitalization lasts for 2-3 days.
In this case, bariatric doctors put the upper part of the stomach in a silicone cuff or gastric band. It narrows the stomach cavity and regulates the speed of food movement through it.
- the operation lasts from 30 minutes to 1 hour
- a patient loses 35-45% of the weight
- hospital stay usually is not required.
During the procedure, surgeons place an empty silicone balloon into the stomach. Then specialists fill a balloon with the physiological saline to the required volume. The operation helps to simulate a sense of fullness in the stomach.
- balloon attaching lasts for 30 minutes
- 30-47% is an excess weight loss after the procedure
- hospitalization is not required.
During this surgery, metabolic specialists decrease the stomach volume and form a smaller diameter gastric tube. A part of the stomach is not removed, and the gastric wall is sewn with a multi-row suture.
What are the contraindications?
Bariatric surgery in Mexico is not performed for teenagers and people with alcohol or drug addiction. Other contraindications include:
- body mass index less than 30
- Cushing's disease
- thyroid disorders
- peptic or esophageal ulcer
- inflammatory bowel disease
- coronary artery disease
- lung diseases
- active cancer treatment
- mental illness (psychosis, severe depression).
What is preoperative preparation for obesity surgery?
Before the operation, you should stick to some rules and follow the doctor’s recommendations. The most important among then are:
- Preoperative diet — a short-term (2-6 weeks) diet before the surgery will lower your body mass index and reduce the risk of complications. The preoperative diet usually consists of foods high in protein and low in carbohydrates, plenty of water.
- Quitting smoking — at least 6 weeks before undergoing general anesthesia, as smoking before the intervention increases the risk of postoperative complications (heart attack, stroke, thromboembolism, infection, pneumonia, and death).
- Physical activity — in the preoperative period improves well-being, general tone, lung, and heart capacity. In addition to your daily activities (work, shopping, and cleaning), try cycling, walking, or swimming for at least half an hour a day. The healthier you will be before the operation, the faster the recovery after the operations will be.
More about the presurgical program you can find here.
What is the process of weight loss treatment?
The operation plan mainly depends on the method of obesity surgery. Each of them differs in the technique of performing. Generally, the procedure takes about 3 hours.
- 1st day — the surgery
- 2nd day — stay in the intensive care unit
- 3rd day — stay in the inpatient department
- 4th day — discharge from the hospital.
What are the risks during the surgery in Mexico?
How long is the recovery period after the bariatric operation?
- In the first 2 days after the operation, the patient can consume only liquids.
- On the third day after the procedure, the person takes food in small portions 5-6 times a day. Gradually, the patient develops new nutritional habits.
- Getting out of bed is allowed on the second day after the weight loss surgery in Mexico. Gradually, the physical activity increases and step-by-step the patient comes back to the common lifestyle.
- In two weeks a person can return to work if the activity is not associated with heavy physical exertion.
- Intense physical exertions are forbidden for two months.
- Then physical activity is required: walking at least three kilometers a day, swimming, cycling, or aerobics will help to overcome the difficulties during the recovery period and return to a full-fledged lifestyle faster.
Read more about the rehabilitation after the obesity procedure here.
How soon after weight loss surgery can you get pregnant?
If you are planning a pregnancy, postpone it for at least 18 months after the procedure. This is the time when your weight is reduced so pregnancy will be a big burden for the body.
After this period, pregnancy is usually safer than before the surgery — for both the mother and the baby. You should inform your gynecologist what type of intervention you had and if there were any complications after the procedure (blood clots, blood transfusion, etc.).
What results can you expect after obesity surgery in Mexico?
During a year after the operation, a person loses up to 60-70% of excess weight. In rare cases, it takes about 1.5 years. It is important that losing weight is irreversible if the patient follows all doctor’s recommendations — the weight will go away and won’t come back. This is a major advantage of the surgical treatment of the overweight.
Besides, after the weight loss surgery in Mexico, the patients also notice regress or get rid of other diseases associated with obesity — type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension (high blood pressure), cardiac pathology, hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol), arthritis, infertility.
Do you need to take vitamin or mineral supplements?
Yes, usually you need to take vitamins and minerals. Supplements provide the patient with essential nutrients needed to maintain good health. A diet that must be kept after the surgery may not always provide the full range of nutrients.
What should you know about Mexico before the trip?
Mexican peso (you also can pay for services in dollars)
Best period for the trip
Spanish (most of medical staff speaks English fluently)
required for some countries
Time difference with Europe
Time difference with the USA
Medical tourism center
Central and Southern Mexico
Why is Mexico trendy for medical tourism?
Mexico is also a well-known country globally due to high-skilled doctors that undergo internships in American and European institutions. Patients from the USA and Canada prefer treatment in Mexico to other places.
Highly developed medical centers and first-rate therapeutic services at affordable prices attract people from all over the world. Over 1 mln international patients travel to Mexico annually. So Mexico is among Top 10 countries with the most developed medical tourism sector.
Mexico is a top destination for medical tourists because of low-costs. You may save up to 60% on services compared to Canada or the USA due to the average local citizens' income and general price policy within the country.
What hotel services are provided here?
In Mexico, hotels of different price ranges and service levels are presented. Most tourists choose 4 and 5 star hotels with all-inclusive meals. Such hotels have everything for a comfortable stay: varied food, a large well-groomed territory, animation for children and adults. Some hotels have their own water park, which guests can use for free. Budget travelers can afford to book an economical 3-star hotel with half board or no meals at all.
What documents are required to apply for a visa to Mexico for treatment?
Visas for travel to Mexico require a number of documents. Lists of documents includes:
- ID card
- confirmation of online registration and filling out the questionnaire
- certificate of income and availability of funds
- insurance policy for a stay in Mexico (original and copy)
- 2 photos (5x6)
- visa receipt
- booking of flight and hotel
- medical opinion about the need for treatment.
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.