The hospital staff members were very kind and helpful, all the scheduled tasks were done on time and there was no waiting. Katia, the patient liaison clerk did a wonderful job, I am so very thankful to her.
Interbalkan European Medical Center
European Interbalkan Medical Center is a multidisciplinary hospital in Thessaloniki, Greece.
The specialties are the following: robotic surgery, cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, oncology and complete examination (check-up).
The hospital cooperates with the world’s leading medical institutions — Massachusetts General Hospital (USA) and Harvard University (USA).
local_hospital Medical procedures Included keyboard_arrow_down
card_giftcard Bonus keyboard_arrow_down
favorite_border 24/7 Bookimed assistance keyboard_arrow_down
done Personal medical coordinator
done Medical travel arrangements — booking of air tickets and hotel rooms at special partner prices
done Patient advocacy during a medical travel
Last price update — 24.09.2018. Prices can be changed depending on the medical case and doctor's recommendations.
How it works
Bookimed is an independent patient experience sharing platform. We are not responsible for objectivity of information in patient reviews — they represent the opinion of reviewers only.
A review is provided only by patients or their accompanying caregivers who have booked/visited the medical center via Bookimed.com, have been diagnosed/treated.
We publish both positive and negative reviews. Every review is moderated for compliance with Reviews&Comments Policy.
Bookimed partner hospitals cannot publish reviews on behalf of patients. We exclude any artificial rise/drop in the ranking.
Hospital accreditations of quality
Date of content creation: 14.08.2018 · Last update: 13.09.2018 info
- Robotic Surgery Department
- Heart Surgery Department
- Neurosurgery Department
- Oncology Department
- Complete examination (check-up)
European Interbalkan Medical Center was established in 2000. It belongs to Athens Medical Group, the largest hospital network in Greece.
The hospital consists of 36 departments and specialized centers.
The center is located in Thessaloniki, and 5 minutes by car from the International Airport.
- Innovative treatment methods — Interbalkan is equipped at the same level as top European hospitals. Doctors apply Da Vinci robotic system for sparing surgeries, IMRT technology for targeted irradiation of malignant tumors which is harmless for healthy tissues.
- Own International Department to assist a foreign patient during stay at Interbalkan. Doctors speak English, German, French, Turkish, Georgian, etc.
- Close location to the airport.
Interbalkan in figures
Awards and achievements
ISO 9001 and ISO 22000
Interbalkan Medical Center is certified by ISO (International Organization for Standardization). It means doctors apply the advanced treatment options, qualitative medical equipment. The working processes are well-established.
Quality in International Patient Care certificate
Interbalkan was awarded by International Medical Organization Temos for quality of diagnostics and treatment of international patients.
Robotic Surgery Department
The first Da Vinci system unit in South Greece has been installed at Interbalkan.
Surgeries applying Da Vinci robot are minimally invasive through small 1 cm punctures. A surgeon manages the robotic instruments with 100% accuracy of movements. It allows removing the neoplasm completely without damaging healthy tissues.
Due to a low injury rate of tissues during the surgery, a patient recovers faster, severe pain is absent, scarring is barely noticeable.
Doctors carry out such interventions applying Da Vinci robot:
- bladder removal
- stomach resection
- removal of benign and malignant stomach neoplasms
- gastric bypass
- removal of cysts and myomas of ovaries
- uterine removal
- prostate removal
- surgeries on the kidneys and bladder.
Da Vinci surgery
Cardiology and Heart Surgery Department
Doctors of the Department specialize in medicamentous, surgical, and minimally invasive treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
Such operations are conducted here:
- angioplasty — the widening of the affected artery
- installation of a pacemaker, defibrillator
- heart valve replacement
- coronary artery bypass graft.
Interventional cardiology — minimally invasive heart surgeries
With this catheter, doctors place stents and balloons in the constricted vessels, carry out a correction and heart valve replacement.
After such sparing intervention, a patient recovers faster than after open surgery.
Doctors of the Department specialize in:
- minimally invasive interventions of the spinal cord — through small punctures 5 mm - 3 cm in size
- brain tumors removal — meningiomas, gliomas
- treatment of brain hematomas, hydrocephalus, brain injuries
- surgical treatment of the peripheral nerves diseases.
Surgical treatment of neurological disorders
Doctors use the innovative treatment options: deep brain stimulation, pump implantation.
Deep brain stimulation is an installation of a special chip, which stimulates the adequate brain lobes work. The technique is applied in neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Tourette’s syndrome.
Pump implantation is a method of treating muscle spasms, which is used in cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury and after a stroke.
Doctors of the Department cooperate with MD Anderson Cancer Center in the USA. Specialists regularly intershare the experience with the foreign colleagues.
Treatment methods applied at Interbalkan:
- targeted therapy — drugs that affect directly the malignant cells not harming the healthy ones
- combined chemo- and radiotherapy
- IMRT — intensity-modulated radiation therapy. The apparatus maximally irradiates the affected area and does not influence the healthy tissues.
Complete examination (check-up)
Check-up at Interbalkan is a screening of a health condition for 1 day. There are different programs available in the hospital — general, gynecologic, urological, and cardiac check-ups.
A patient does not require admission to undergo the diagnostics. All procedures take 3-8 hours. After morning testing, patients have breakfast — tea, coffee, croissants.
Services for international patients
What specialties in the hospital are the most demanded?
What treatments do patients most often ask for?
What procedures do patients have most often?
Slow connection. Wait for the end of loading to send a request.
- We find a medical coordinator familiar with the matter
- You get a personal offer with step-by-step guide and the cost estimate
- We arrange your travel including appointment scheduling and flights booking
- You arrive at the hospital, we support you 24/7