Highly rated Ophthalmology clinics in India
The hospitals ranking is based on 299 requests, 74 patient reviews, prices, and information from 24 clinics
What is Bookimed?
The Best Ophthalmology Doctors in India, remote doctor's consultation
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
Ophthalmology Reviews by Bookimed patients
What is ophthalmology?
Ophthalmology is a branch of medicine focused on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of eye diseases, partial and complete vision loss.
Pediatric ophthalmology is a subdivision of ophthalmology that studies the characteristics of children's vision. The child’s vision, unlike that of an adult, is constantly changing. Pediatric eye doctors study the features of a child’s vision changes and related pathologies.
What does an eye doctor treat?
Ophthalmologists in India correct not only vision impairments but diseases of the eyeball, eyelids, lacrimal organs, conjunctiva, and eyepit as well.
The most common eye disorders an ophthalmologist can help you to cope with are:
- nearsightedness (myopia) is a visual impairment when the image is focused in front of the retina and the person cannot clearly see distant objects
- farsightedness (hyperopia) is a visual impairment when the image focuses behind the retina of the eye and a person cannot clearly see close objects
- conjunctivitis — inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye (conjunctiva)
- cataract — a clouding of the lens of the eye
- glaucoma — increased eye pressure causing visual impairment
- astigmatism — a violation of the shape of the lens or cornea.
How is the eye disease diagnosis carried out?
At the initial appointment, the ophthalmologist in India conducts an examination and computer vision diagnostics. To determine various visual impairments, the following eye tests are carried out:
- autorefractometry (a measurement of the refractive power of the eye)
- keratometry (assessment of the curvature of the cornea anterior surface)
- non-contact measurement of intraocular pressure
- corneal topography or photokeratoscopy (scanning the surface of the cornea)
- ultrasound of the eye (necessary to assess the condition of the membranes of the eyeball, allows diagnosing changes in the retina and vitreous body, determination of intraocular neoplasms)
- ultrasound biometry (determination of the length of the eye, the thickness of the lens, the depth of the anterior chamber)
- pachymetry (measuring the thickness of the cornea using ultrasound)
- direct and reverse ophthalmoscopy (assessment of the state of the retina, choroid, optic disc, macular zone based on examination of the fundus)
- biomicroscopy (a method that allows examining the anterior and posterior parts of the eyeball with different lighting and image sizes). The study is carried out using a special slit lamp device.
- gonioscopy (examination and assessment of the anterior chamber angle).
Comprehensive ophthalmologic diagnosis in India allows the ophthalmologist to identify visual impairments and latent refractive errors, develop the most effective treatment plan.
What are eye treatment methods?
To treat eye diseases, ophthalmologists use the following methods:
What are the indications for eye surgery in India?
The most common visual impairments are considered glaucoma and cataracts. These diseases are dangerous because they can lead to a significant decrease or even loss of vision. Therefore, surgical intervention is often prescribed to eliminate these effects.
The surgery is also required for treatment of the following diseases:
- refractive disorders
- severe endophthalmitis (inflammation of the interior of the eye)
- progressive severe visual impairment
- inflammatory diseases
- retinal detachment.
What are the methods of eye operations?
Ophthalmologists in India perform three types of operations:
- surgery for medical reasons to preserve vision, remove a tumor or prevent the spread of infection
- operations to eliminate refractive errors like farsightedness, nearsightedness, and astigmatism
- plastic surgery to eliminate defects such as benign neoplasms, entropion, ptosis, or to change the incision and color of the eyes, remove bags under the eyes.
What are the most common eye surgeries in India performed?
The following operations are most often performed:
- keratoplasty — corneal transplant in case of cornea defects and other serious changes
- corneal cross-linking — an alternative to keratoplasty for keratoconus treatment at the initial stages
- laser vision correction
- retinal laser photocoagulation
- PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) — myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism correction using an excimer ophthalmic laser
- lens replacement surgery
- cataract extraction with intraocular lens (IOL) implantation
- glaucoma surgery.
What should you know about India before the trip?
Indian Rupee (you also can pay for services in USD)
Best period for the trip
Hindi (most of medical staff speaks English fluently)
Time difference with Europe
Time difference with the USA
Medical tourism center
Mumbai, New Delhi
Goa, Jaipur, Mumbai
What is the level of medicine in India?
Healthcare in India is based on cost-effective models. Most of the hospitals are private — 65% of annual GDP is out-of-pocket medical payments.
1.4 mln doctors provide excellent treatments in the country. 74% of the Indian medical care is private. The local healthcare centers have international and national certificates that confirm the high quality of services and patients' safety:
- JCI (Joint Commission International) — the international improver of healthcare quality and safety across the globe
- NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers) — the Indian quality council establishing healthcare accreditation for medical centers within the country.
India has 39 JCI-accredited medical centers in contrast with 20 JCI-certified facilities in Germany and 10 hospitals in Israel.
Why is India trendy for medical tourism?
India is also a well-known country globally due to skillful doctors that have vast experience due to the high demand and excellent patient flow. Patients from the USA, UK, France, Germany, Kuwait, Iraq, Oman, Maldives, Yemen, Uzbekistan, and Sudan prefer treatment in India to other places.
Highly developed medical centers and first-rate therapeutic services at affordable prices attract people from all over the world. About 500,000 international patients travel to India annually. So the country is among Top 10 countries with the most developed medical tourism sector.
India is a top destination for medical tourists because of low-costs. You may save up to 75% on services compared to European countries or the USA due to the average local citizens' income and general price policy within the state.
What hotel services are provided here?
In India, hotels of different price ranges and service levels are presented. Most tourists choose 4 and 5-star hotels. Such hotels have everything for a comfortable stay: varied European and Asian food, a vast, well-groomed territory, animation for children and adults. Some hotels have a water park available to guests. Budget travelers can afford to book an economical 3-star hotel with half board or no meals at all.
What is the best time to visit India?
India is one of the most amazing states in South Asia. The cradle of the ancient civilization, Buddhism, and Hinduism. India is an excellent place to have vacation on the Goa and Kerala beaches, tours to picturesque Delhi, and the soaring Himalayas, open the treasures of the Golden Triangle and the ancient secrets of Ayurveda, for rave discos and yoga tours. Locals recommend traveling to India from October to March.
Do I need a visa?
International patients are required to receive an electronic visa (e-Visa). The maximum period of stay in the country with this visa type is 6 months. Read more about the visa terms for treatment in India here.
What documents are required to apply for a visa to India for treatment?
Visa for travel to India requires a number of documents. The necessary list of documents includes:
- ID card
- copy of online visa application form
- certificate of income and availability of funds
- recent size 2 photos
- proof of residential address
- booking of flight and hotel
- medical opinion about the need for treatment in India.
|Treatment of cataract|
|Cataracts in Children||-||from 13040$||-||-|
|Treatment of keratoconus|
|Corneal Transplant||-||from 8290$||-||-|
|Treatment of myopia|
|Myopia Diagnosis + Excimer Laser procedure||-||from 1605$||-||-|
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.