How much does rectal cancer diagnostic and treatment procedures cost ?
Prices for rectal cancer diagnostic and treatment procedures in 2021
- Below average
- Above average
Comprehensive Diagnosis + Laparoscopic anterior rectum resection at Helios Park Hospital Leipzig
Best Medical Equipment for Rectal cancer Treatment and Diagnosis
Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System
The system provides a surgeon with precise tiny instruments to manage surgery with maximal safety and accuracy. A surgeon manipulates on a special console, observing the operated area on 3D images in real-time. The tiny instruments make accurate incisions excluding the “trembling hand” effect and wrong movements.
Da Vinci robotic system is used as an alternative to open surgery to reduce pain, bleeding, minimize risks of infection and trauma of healthy tissues. An operation is performed through several 1cm incisions, not a big one 15 cm in size as for open surgery. Due to this, a patient recovers faster compared to traditional surgery: within 2-3 weeks instead of several months.
50 patients with rectal cancer were involved in the study. After robotic-assisted surgery, 100% of patients survived, and no organ damage was registered during surgery. 16% of participants experienced complications of different severity.
CyberKnife is a robotic device to perform radiosurgery with precise radiation delivery to the organs affected with benign and malignant tumors.
This method allows destroying tumors without incisions and pain; it is frequently used as an alternative to surgery when neoplasms are hard to reach or cannot be operated. The radiation is directed accurately, so it does not affect healthy tissues or organs. Treatment with CyberKnife is an outpatient procedure: just after a session (it lasts about 30-90 minutes), a patient can return home and their everyday activities.
22 patients with liver metastases caused by colorectal cancer participated in the study. The average survival rate for the examined group was 50 months. A 1-year survival rate was 100%, 2-year — 94%, 3-year — 72.5%.
NanoKnife, or irreversible electroporation (IRE), is a method to kill cancer cells in soft tissues with electric current. A procedure is performed under general anesthesia, then 2-6 needles are placed around a tumor to conduct electric current and destroy cancer tumors.
The option is considered as a new one in medicine that allows to target tumors located in hard-to-reach places. This is a surgical procedure, but no knife is used. The entire NanoKnife session lasts 45 minutes. After that, a patient stays overnight for a follow-up. No specific rehabilitation is required.
24 patients with metastases in the liver caused by colorectal cancer underwent NanoKnife treatment. After the therapy, the 1-year survival rate was 100%, 3-year — 79.2%, 5-year — 41.2%.
Tomotherapy represents a type of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). The device combines a CT scanner and linear accelerator to deliver radiation to the tumor. In-built CT scan receives images of a tumor before each treatment session that allows to target tumors precisely.
With TomoTherapy, a tumor is affected with radiation slice-by-slice, not the entire neoplasm at once. The duration of one session is shortened: it takes several minutes, no hospital stay is necessary after the procedure. A patient can experience tiredness and appetite changes after tomotherapy.
18 patients with metastatic colorectal cancer participated in the study to analyze Tomotherapy efficacy. The medium follow-up time was 16 months. The average survival rate for all participants was 2.9 years. No cancer progression was observed in 45% of cases for 1 year and in 34% of cases for 2 years.
Highly rated Oncology clinics for Rectal cancer Treatment
The hospitals ranking is based on 4775 requests, 695 patient reviews, prices, and information from 96 clinics
What is Bookimed?
Common proceduresHyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) CyberKnife Chemotherapy for breast cancer Immunotherapy with Keytruda (Pembolizumab) Rectal resection Gastric polyps removal Da Vinci Robotic System NanoKnife Biopsy
Best Rectal Cancer Doctors, online doctor's consultation
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
Reviews of patients treated for Rectal cancer
10 positive reviews on rectal cancer
FAQ about Rectal cancer Treatment
Best hospitals for rectal cancer treatment are presented below. The list is based on patient’s reviews and Bookimed expertise opinion. International patients choose these clinics due to the following reasons:
- High success rate. 88-92% is a 5-year survival rate for 1-3 stages rectal cancer according to cancer.net statistics.
- Effective surgical methods. Specialists perform open rectal cancer surgeries and minimally invasive techniques to cure rectal cancer. The last ones are safer, less traumatic, and don’t require long hospital stay.
- New therapies. Doctors apply targeted therapy to destroy cancer cells without damage to healthy ones and immunotherapy which boosts the patient’s immune system to fight cancer. Both treatments cause fewer side effects compared to traditional chemo.
- Treatment of metastatic rectal cancer. The medical centers below provide HIPEC for metastatic cancer – chemo drugs heated up to 42°C and put into the abdomen where a tumor is located. HIPEC targets only affected area in the abdominal cavity and causes less severe side effects on the whole body.
Submit a request on Bookimed to choose the best hospital for rectal cancer treatment.
Top 5 tips to pick the best hospital for rectal cancer
To choose the most appropriate medical center for rectal cancer treatment, take into account the following factors:
- Hospital’s accreditation. All world-class medical facilities have world-renowned accreditations and certificates for high-quality healthcare and medical services.
- Doctors’ experience. Read specialists CVs on our website. Be sure the doctors have many years of experience, numerous certificates, awards, and positive reviews.
- Access to new therapies. Check what innovative treatments are applied in a chosen hospital. Only the best rectal cancer treatment are available in the centers listed below.
- Patients’ reviews. Check feedback of people who have already got rectal cancer treatment in the hospital you are interested in.
Is rectal cancer curable?
Survival rates for rectal cancer depend on several factors including its stage. For example, 88% is a 5-year survival rate for patients with 0-1 stages. 70% is a 5-year survival rate for a patient with stages 2-3. The positive outcome is possible when an experienced doctor makes a correct and accurate treatment plan.
What is the best treatment for rectal cancer?
Best rectal cancer treatment centers provide the following methods:
- Chemotherapy & radiotherapy. These both treatments remain high-priority ones to treat rectal cancer at each stage. Precisely implemented therapies provide survival rate up to 80%.
- HIPEC.The best rectal cancer treatment centers provide HIPEC to treat patients with metastasis in the abdomen. During this procedure, chemo drugs are heated up to 42°C and delivered to the affected tissue — they attack cancer cells directly without negative impact on the whole body.
- Abdominoperineal resection (APR) is a surgical procedure for partial or complete rectum removal to treat rectal cancer. It is applied for 1-3 stages of the disease. Recovery takes 3-6 weeks
- Colostomy. If a patient with rectal cancer requires complete rectum resection, a surgeon performs permanent colostomy — an opening in the abdominal cavity to keep stool out of the colon.
- Minimally invasive surgeries. Specialists from the clinics in a list perform laparoscopic procedures which promote easier postoperative period with fewer complications. Such surgical methods are usually used for 0-2 stages. For instance, local transanal resection, a minimally invasive surgery, is performed for 1 stage rectal cancer — the procedure causes less pain and no scars because it is conducted through natural opening.
- Immunotherapy & targeted therapy. These treatment options are applied for difficult cases when conventional chemo does not work. Immunotherapy drugs awake the patient’s immunity to affect cancer cells with fewer side effects. Targeted therapy blocks malignant cells, stops their growth, and then destroys them.
Is immunotherapy an effective option to treat rectal cancer?
Immunotherapy is applied for patients with metastatic, hard-to-remove, and relapsed rectal cancer. If a tumor is resistant to chemo drugs, a doctor may prescribe immunotherapy. Such a treatment is available in most of clinics listed on this page.
What are 3 the best rectal cancer hospitals?
Top 3 rectal cancer hospitals’ rating is based on Bookimed expert opinion and patients reviews:
- Quiron. Doctors apply laparoscopic procedures (minimally invasive techniques) to treat rectal cancer. 80% is a success rate after laparoscopy at Quiron. Only 20% of patients require a colostomy bag (an opening to keep the stool out). Due to this technique, the recovery gets faster and the patient’s quality of life has been improved significantly.
- Solingen. The hospital provides advanced options for rectal cancer treatment in Germany. Prof. Boris Pfaffenbach is a leading expert at Solingen specialized in oncology including rectal cancer. Prof. Pfaffenbach provides surgical treatment of malignant tumors of the colon and rectum. The Oncology Department of Solingen is certified by the German Cancer Society, the largest expert cancer organization in Germany.
- Asklepios Barmbek. The hospital specializes in metastatic cancer treatment and provides minimally invasive surgeries for early-stage rectal cancer. Asklepios is certified by the German Cancer Society for high-quality oncology treatment. The hospital applies the latest minimally invasive diagnostic methods to detect hard-to-reach tumors in the abdominal cavity. The hospital is considered one of the best places for medical tourism according to the Medical Travel Quality Alliance (MTQUA).
How to get treatment in the best hospital for rectal cancer?
- Submit a request on Bookimed website to know all details about a medical center specialized in rectal cancer treatment.
- Bookimed manager will contact you in the shortest term. You can ask anything regarding prices, doctors, treatment methods.
- If you choose the most appropriate hospital for you, please, send your medical docs.
- Bookimed manager will send all your medical documents to the chosen rectal cancer hospital, and doctors decide what is the best treatment for rectal cancer.
- Then you receive a direct bill from a hospital and can go for treatment.
Bookimed manager provides 24/7 online support till your home return. Learn more about our services.
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.