How much does prostatectomy cost?
The average price of prostatectomy is $11400, the minimum price is $3000, and the maximum price is $27000.
Highly rated Prostatectomy clinics by real patients
The hospitals ranking is based on 4765 requests, 695 patient reviews, prices, and information from 93 clinics
Common proceduresRobotic da Vinci prostatectomy
What is Bookimed?
What is the life expectancy after prostate removal?
Prostate removal is applied if metastases have not been spread. It aims to cure a patient forever. And for its purpose, this option is the most effective among all available methods for today. Prostate removal is effective even for those cases when a tumor has grown through the prostate capsule. In such a case, doctors combine an operation with radiation and hormone therapy.
A doctor removes the prostate and seminal vesicles and then sews together the bladder and urethra upper or in the place of the muscle that closes the urethra. This procedure helps to control urination.
In 5 years after surgery, no cancer symptoms will be observed:
- in 85% of all our patients
- in 95% of patients with early cancer stage
- in 50% of patients with advanced cancer stage.
We remove the lymph nodes in men with a higher risk of metastases spread in the lymph nodes in the pelvic organs (over 5%). It prolongs an operation for about an hour. So, it takes about 2.5-3 hours in total. An average blood loss index after a robotic intervention is 250 ml. So, in most cases, no blood transfusion is needed during or after an operation.
The main advantage of robotic surgery is that a doctor makes only 5 small punctures in the belly. After such an intervention on the prostate, the risk of pulmonary embolism is lower than after open prostatectomy.
Does Viagra help after the prostate removal?
The loss of erectile function can cause temporary or permanent damage to the neurovascular bundles located near the prostate. If a tumor overlaps the prostate surface and damages nerves, removing neoplasm with the prostate is necessary. Erectile dysfunction can also take place because of manipulations during surgery: it recovers within 2-3 years in such a case. Different associated diseases (diabetes, vascular diseases, for instance) and patients’ age (older than 60 years) can negatively affect erectile function recovery. If both neurovascular bundles are preserved, an erectile function keeps in about 80% of cases. If it is necessary to remove one or even two bundles, the percentage reduces. However, erection can be restored with medications, such as Viagra, for instance. The insertion of prostaglandin in the patient’s genitals can also help. This treatment is not a part of prostatectomy.
Best Prostatectomy Doctors
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
Prostatectomy Patient Reviews by Bookimed patients
8 positive reviews on prostatectomy
FAQ about Prostatectomy
When is prostatectomy indicated?
- the patients' age over 70 years
- cardiovascular disorders
- taking medicines which influence the blood coagulability.
What are the types of prostate surgery?
There are such types of surgical treatment for prostate cancer:
- Open prostatectomy. A doctor removes the prostate gland together with the urinary tract, seminal vesicle, and lymph nodes. The operation is performed through the 12 cm incision in the abdomen. The disorder of erectile and urinating functions are quite often observed after this prostate removal type.
- Laparoscopic prostatectomy. A doctor makes 3-6 incisions small on the abdominal wall and places the optic system inside. It illuminates the surgery area and transmits the image on the screen to control operation. This prostatectomy type is less traumatic compared to the open: a patient recovers faster, the urinating and erectile function are preserved in most of the cases.
- Da Vinci prostatectomy. The surgery is assisted with Da Vinci robot. Due to this, the operation is low traumatic and accurate. The robot stabilizes the doctor’s movements and makes them precise. Such a prostatectomy is performed through 1-2 cm incisions. 90% of patients after robotic prostatectomy preserve the urinating and erectile functions.
The prostatectomy cost depends on its type. The open prostate removal is usually the cheapest one.
How is prostate removal performed?
The prostatectomy includes such steps:
- Preparation for prostatectomy
It includes medical survey, urine and blood tests, X-ray, ECG, Ultrasound, CT.
- Prostatectomy process
A patient is under general anesthesia. Depending on the prostate surgery type, a doctor makes incisions and removes the gland. The duration of the procedure is 2-4 hours. Then a patient stays in a hospital for 3-5 days. After prostatectomy a doctor places the catheter to withdraw the urine. It is taken off in 7-14 days.
- Postoperative recovery
Its duration depends on the prostatectomy type. A patient needs to keep diet, take antibiotics and painkillers. In 7 days after the surgery, a doctor removes stitches. In 1 month a patient can return to work, in 2 months — to physical activity.
What affects cost of prostate removal surgery?
The cost of prostatectomy is affected by the following factors:
- The location of the hospital. The prostate cancer surgery cost in Indian hospitals is about 1.5-2 times cheaper than in Turkish or Czech ones. South Korean and German or Spanish hospitals offer 2 times higher price than Turkish medical facilities. The cost difference is explained by the price policy within countries. The quality and effectiveness of prostatectomy remain at about the same high level.
- Type of the prostate gland removal. The robotic-assisted prostatectomy is 20-30% higher than the open or laparoscopic prostate removal surgery.
- Doctor's experience. Specialists who have been performing prostatectomies for decades, have international certificates, and patients' positive reviews can ask for a higher fee. It affects a prostatectomy cost.
What does prostatectomy cost include?
The cost of prostatectomy usually include:
- the prostate surgery itself
- doctor's fee
In most of the cases, such services as a transfer, language assistance (if necessary), extra-consultations with a doctor are paid additionally.
How to get a personalized prostate surgery cost?
- Fill out a form on the Bookimed website describing your medical issue.
- Our manager will call you back to answer all questions and discuss the best hospitals/doctors for prostatectomy.
- Send your medical records and then receive a cost estimate of prostatectomy in your case.
- If you agree with the bill, a Bookimed manager schedules the date of surgery in the chosen hospital.
Bookimed services are free for a patient.
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.