How much does tongue cancer surgery cost ?
Highly rated Tongue cancer surgery clinics by real patients
The hospitals ranking is based on 4343 requests, 653 patient reviews, prices, and information from 43 clinics
What is Bookimed?
Best Tongue cancer surgery Doctors
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
Tongue cancer surgery Patient Reviews by Bookimed patients
FAQ about Tongue cancer surgery
Surgery is the most effective management option for early stages of cancer. Tongue cancer surgery success rates are up to 90%. There are a complex of procedures and techniques to keep patient's looks of the face.
When the tumor is too big or is located in hard-to-reach area, oncologists apply additional management options: radio-, chemo-, or immunotherapies. They reduce tumor size before the operation, or make sure there is no cancer left after it.
Indications and contraindications for tongue cancer surgery
There are following contraindications for the surgery:
- blood clotting pathologies (anemia);
- late stages of tumor;
- severe infections (HPV, HIV/AIDS) or recurrent inflammatory diseases;
- nutrition malfunctions;
- poor overall health condition.
When cancer has spread to other organs, surgeons apply different methods of treatment, such as chemo-, radio-, immunotherapies. In this case tongue cancer surgery may sometimes be performed to improve patient’s quality of life.
There are following indications for the operation:
- cancer has not spread to other organs;
- surgery will improve patient’s quality of life;
- patient is able to endure the procedure.
Tongue cancer surgery is considered the best treatment for the disease, especially in the early stages.
Types of tongue cancer surgery
There are a number of surgical techniques available for patients with oral cancer. Surgeons make the choice of particular intervention type. It depends on tumor(s) size, localization, and patient’s health condition.
There are the following types of operation:
- Tumor resection. During this intervention, a tumor is removed completely from the tongue. Some adjacent tissue is also resected to make sure the cancer didn’t spread. The operation is usually performed through the mouth. If the tumor is unreachable, surgeons make incisions in the patient’s throat.
- Jawbone resection. If cancer has spread to the mandible, surgeons remove it partly or completely. Before that, physicians carefully study X-ray images of the bone.
- Glossectomy. It is a tongue removal cancer surgery. Surgeons remove only a part of the organ if a tumor is small. In cases of a larger malignant formation, the entire tongue may be removed.
- Laryngectomy. In cases when tumor has grown too big, surgeons may need to remove voice box. Some swallowing muscles need to be removed as well to make sure the cancer won’t spread.
- Neck dissection. This tongue cancer surgery is applied if cancer has spread to neck lymph nodes. Surgeons remove the nodes depending on the extent of disease expansion.
- Pedicle reconstruction. This is a complex of tongue reconstruction procedures for treatment of cancer. Surgeons restore shapes of the neck and mouth, as well as the insides of the cavity. Physicians use skin and muscle grafts to repair the throat.
The intervention is conducted by a team of surgeons. A patient stays under general anesthesia. If a tumor is located in a reachable spot, physicians operate through a patient’s mouth. In other case, a small incision is made in the throat to access a tumor. Operation length is 1-4 hours.
Recovery process after the surgery depends on its type. Small tumor removal requires only a few hours of hospital stay. Reconstruction tongue cancer surgery or jawbone resection require 1-2 weeks of hospitalization.
How to get tongue cancer surgery abroad?
Submit a request on Bookimed website, and our Medical Doctor will contact you at any suitable time. You will receive exhaustive information regarding the disease treatment. Our specialist will answer all your questions, including tongue cancer surgery success rate in your case.
Our specialists will process the documents and organize your trip abroad.
Our services are completely free for patients.
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.