How much does brachytherapy for prostate cancer cost ?
Comprehensive Diagnosis + Brachytherapy at Helios Krefeld
24/7 Bookimed assistance
Personal medical coordinator
Medical travel arrangements — booking of air tickets and hotel rooms at special partner prices
Patient advocacy during a medical travel
Highly rated Brachytherapy for prostate cancer clinics by real patients
The hospitals ranking is based on 4359 requests, 655 patient reviews, prices, and information from 32 clinics
What is Bookimed?
Best Brachytherapy for prostate cancer Doctors
Information about doctors who accept foreign patients is provided by clinics
Request for details
Request for details
Request for details
- Effective prices
- Customer care support 24/7
- Patient reviews
FAQ about Brachytherapy for prostate cancer
Brachytherapy is a non-surgical treatment of prostate cancer with internal irradiation. Special tiny seeds are placed inside the prostate gland and destroy a tumor.
The effectiveness of brachytherapy is over 90%.
You can compare brachytherapy costs for prostate cancer and read reviews on this page.
If you need to start brachy treatment of prostate cancer in the shortest term, submit a request and Bookimed will arrange your medical trip to a chosen hospital within 2-5 days.
What does a brachytherapy cost for prostate cancer depend on?
The price for brachy treatment in case of prostate cancer is affected by:
- A number of radioactive seeds required to be placed inside the prostate gland. Their amount differs for low- and high-dose brachytherapy.
- Doctor's experience. Specialists who have vast experience in performing brachytherapy for prostate oncology treatment may ask for a higher fee. But in any case, you should carefully study a doctor's CV and be sure in their professionalism.
- Country for treatment. Due to a different price policy in the countries, the brachytherapy cost also varies without quality loss. For instance, the price of internal radiotherapy in Europe is 2-3 times lower than in the USA or Canada.
Submit a request on Bookimed website to get a personalized brachytherapy cost for your case.
Benefits of brachytherapy for prostate cancer?
Brachytherapy for prostate cancer is internal irradiation of the prostate. This treatment option is primary in case of non-metastatic cancer. It allows preserve the prostate and avoid complications. Brachytherapy is an alternative therapy to radical prostatectomy.
The advantages of brachytherapy in case of prostate cancer are the following:
- minimally invasive procedure
- the same effectiveness with prostatectomy (removal of the prostate)
- the prostate is preserved
- 96% of patients save their ability to normally urinate
- 85% of patients preserve the erectile function
- short hospital stay - 24 hours.
Indications and contraindications of brachy treatment for prostate cancer
Indications for brachytherapy:
- prostate cancer T1-T3 NOMO
- seminal vesicles are not affected by metastases
- the absence of problems with the urination
- PSA less than 15-20 ng/ml
- the prostate volume no more than 50 cm3.
Contraindications for brachytherapy:
- metastatic spread
- Gleason score over 7.
The age in not a contradiction for brachytherapy in case of prostate cancer.
Process of prostate cancer treatment with brachytherapy
The prostate cancer treatment with brachytherapy consists of such steps:
- consultation with a specialist
- palpation of the prostate
- A patient is under general anesthesia. The operating area is sterilized.
- A doctor inserts the catheter to withdraw the urine.
- The special probe is placed in the rectum to make images of operation and transmit them on the screen.
- A specialist inserts 15-30 needles into the prostate. Their quantity depends on the prostate size.
- Through each needle it is possible to place 1-6 radioactive seeds.
- The brachytherapy for prostate takes 1-2 hours.
- Then a patient is hospitalized. The next day after brachytherapy, a doctor examines man’s health and removes the catheter. A patient returns home.
Process of brachytherapy for prostate cancer
During several weeks some patients may notice the swelling and urination disorders.
In 1-1.5 months a patient needs to visit a doctor, in 3 months - make PSA test. If there are no complications, a man returns to a usual lifestyle.
Radioactive seeds lose 50% of their charge during the first 2 months. The seeds remain in the prostate.
During the first 2 months after brachytherapy, a man needs to avoid the long-term contact with children and pregnant women. This period the irradiation is quite strong.
The sexual life is allowed after brachytherapy.
How to receive brachytherapy for prostate cancer?
Submit a request on Bookimed, and our Medical Doctor will contact you to find the most appropriate place to undergo brachytherapy or other treatment option for prostate cancer.
The Coordinator will make an appointment with the leading specialist in brachytherapy and calculate the cost of treatment.
Bookimed services are free for patients.
Medical coordinators consult you and help to make the right choice. Bookimed services are free for you and do not affect the clinic's bill.